For overall wellbeing, feeling happy and fulfilled can be just as important as simply staying well. Our seven step guide will help you look and feel your best, physically fizzing, mentally calm and in control.
1. Eat well. Choose a balanced, healthy diet that gives you all the nutrients you need: a proper breakfast, more fruit and vegetables, fewer fats. And reduce sugar or replace it with a low calorie sugar alternative such as Splenda.
2. Keep fit. Staying on the move can boost ‘good’ cholesterol, help lower blood pressure, renew overall energy levels and soothe stress. You could start with as little as a 10-minute walk every day, and build up to the recommended 30 minutes a day, either with more short walks or by taking one longer one.
3. Stay on top. Scientific research is constantly coming up with new suggestions for healthy living so it’s good to stay in the know; do your own research by browsing the net, reading the papers and magazines, talking to friends, trying new recipes… The more you know, the more you’ll be able to make the right choices.
4. Just relax. Meditation, yoga and Tai Chi are all wonderful ways to chill out and leave your cares behind; just 20 minutes a day can make a noticeable difference. Clocking up the recommended eight hours sleep also reduces stress, restores mental sharpness and promotes positive thinking. And finally, like exercise, laughing has been proved to increase our production of endorphins, the ‘feel good’ brain chemicals. So keep smiling!
5. Renew and refresh. A holiday or weekend getaway is a great way to recharge our batteries – but a few minutes every day doing easy stretches, enjoying a soothing cup of herbal tea or a massage can all help maintain our sense of wellbeing while we look forward to the next trip.
6. Feel good about yourself. Exploring new horizons – like learning a language or sampling salsa – keeps us fresh and forward thinking. Work may take up a big chunk of your life, so it’s important to love what you do for a living; could you get more out of it by taking on extra responsibility or tackling a training course? For many, supporting charities or caring for family or friends provides a deep feeling of fulfillment.
Find your balance. Work or other demands on our day can all too easily take over, so make sure you get a few moments of ‘me time’; simply close your eyes and breathe slowly and deeply until you feel your mind clearing. Balance restored, energy renewed!